CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fun at the Freeman Farm

The 4th of July has always been a big holiday in my family. Growing up, it was my sister's birthday, so it was extra special -family picnics, church picnics, fireworks, birthday cake.

When Jerry and I first married, it was a special time for all of the Dingmores to gather at the lake with family since we were all scattered at Christmas. We would camp at the lake for a couple of days, and great family times were had.

Then, in Wichita Falls (where we pastored for 9 years), there was a huge air force base there, Sheppard AFB, and during that time of getting to know, doing life with and worshipping with the men and women of our military, made me prouder than ever to be an American, and gave the celebration an entirely new meaning. They were family.

When we moved to GA, there was not a community celebration really, we spent one at Lake Tobo, a couple of sweet ones at a family picnic with friends, and one watching fireworks at the "club", but nothing stuck...until a few years ago when my friend Lucy asked us to come to the family farm for their gathering on the 3rd to cook the pig for their celebration on the 4th.

We had no idea what a tradition it would become. Now, our whole family looks forward to it every year...the family gathers at Granny and Grandaddy Freeman's farmhouse to cook the pig, and for my non-Georgia readers, yes, it is an entire pig stretched out on a grill-like pit in the ground. A fire must be kept going to the side of it so that coals can be continually heaped into the pig pit throughout the night. Meanwhile, the kids are gloriously entertained by playing with the goats, rabbits, donkeys and chickens at the farm, or swinging on a rope in the barn, or playing a giant game of Hide-n-Go Seek with all the kids from 16 years old - 5 years old, or visiting by the fire, or riding 4-wheelers...it really doesn't matter, it's family and it's simple, good, clean FUN!

The cooking of the pig takes 12-16 hours depending on the pig's size, and it has to be flipped half way through...so the Dingmores stay until the flipping, which usually takes place about 1:00-2:00 AM. It is quite a procedure to watch for this Texas girl!

I guess I got to rattling on, and I'm not sure if this makes sense. I'm just full of gratitude for what we celebrate today and for how God has always provided "family" for me when I needed it, no matter where I am.

0 comments: