CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Little Bit Country

Last night, I was cleaning up around the house, and I tend to be a "tosser" while my husband is a "keeper". Well, I found this trinket of Colton's that I thought was long forgotten, but I thought I would verify with my beloved husband, so that I wouldn't scar my child by throwing away some precious childhood memory.
I held the object up to him and said, "I don't think Colton cares two hoots to a holler about this, can I throw this away?"
He looked at me and said, "Are you 80?" I looked at him, bewildered. He then said, "Two hoots to a holler? Who says that?!"
That got me to thinking about all of our sayings that are a "little bit country." Here are a few that I've been made fun of for, but I still continue to say them. (Now, I may guard my tongue in some circles, for some just wouldn't understand.) I'm a West Texas girl, and some things are just better expressed in down-home terms like these:

"Who in the Sam Hill is that?" (expression of bewilderment)
describing something as "colder than a well-digger's behind" (really, really cold)
"Good Golly Girdie!" (an exclamation that can be used for various emotions)
"Well, slap me naked and hide my clothes!" (extreme surprise)
"possum on a gumbush" (another exclamation)
"Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade." (say it how it is whether acceptable or not)

Now, for those of you laughing at this West Texas girl about these, I've heard a few sayings that were new to me, that I found quite funny when I came to GA:

"I don't know him from Adam's housecat."
"Taste this. It's so good it'll make you slap your grandma." (really? I don't think I would ever...)
"It is what it is." (okay, yes, it is, but what does that mean?)

Now, it's your turn...what are some of your faves?

1 comments:

staceykingman

Hi Jana! I lost my email program with my address book. Could you send me an email? I'll tell you what we thought of Switched on Schoolhouse...