CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 24, 2008

Good Friday

I have come to love Good Friday. With all of the extra preparations that go on in ministry for Easter Sunday, it is usually an exhausting day, not much time for celebrating as a family. So, several years ago, I started a tradition with my children on Good Friday, that we all have come to love and look forward to each year.

We call it the Disciple's Breakfast. We get up on that Friday morning and go outside with a quilt and eat breakfast in the yard. We have fish (fish sticks for them), fruit, nuts, grape juice and pita bread. We talk about what it must have been like for the disciples that morning. What must they have been feeling? Their mentor, teacher, friend, Savior had been arrested and was going to be crucified on a cross like a common criminal that day. It is so cool to hear what the kids come up with each year.

Two years ago, Kenzie came up with something she wanted to add, where we would each pick which disciple we were most like...Peter? John? Bartholomew? Andrew? It has been neat to see as we do this through the years, how it has grown and matured with them. It was special this year because Colton told the story all by himself this year of the last week of Christ, from Palm Sunday, to the turning of the tables in the temple, to the last supper to the arrest, crucifixion and resurrection! It brought me to tears. It is so precious to see them grow in their knowledge of Christ.

Asher's best response to it all was "Jesus died for me. He wants to be my friend forever." That sums it all up, I think. I'm so grateful for that special time with my kiddos!

2 comments:

Shannon

That is so neat!! I wish I'd asked my friends what they do on Good Friday. We needed something to do to keep our focus on why we have Easter. We had pageant this year and things have been CRAZY! Not that pageant doesn't drive "the story" home, but we needed another perspective and Friday was the day we had some down time. I love what you guys do. I've got to tuck that away for next year. Or maybe we'll just do it tomorrow!

Kerri

what a neat idea! - - thanks for sharing it!
Kerri