CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Put me in coach




Call us crazy, I know, but Colton is playing on two football teams this fall. Because we wanted to support Covenant's new athletic program, we signed him up for flag football at school, but then his coaches from this summer asked him to play tackle at another school in town, so we basically have football five days a week. Yikes! I don't even really understand the game. I like it when the Aggies play, and I'll watch my children play anything. That's the extent of my knowledge. Period. The one thing I don't like is that I can't see his sweet face with that big ole helmet on!

However, Colton is loving tackle football. He is so aggressive and physical by nature, that he has found his sport. So, I sit on the sidelines and try to figure out what is happening. I get excited when he's the one on the top of the pile!



The other day at his flag football game, I was listening to some of the dads talking. They were mouthing flag football saying that it's not really football because you really can't teach them the game that way, and that it's "glorified recess", etc. (The boys, however, seemed to be enjoying it)



My mind was drifting, and I thought, this is kinda how we are as Christians. Too often, we want to "pretend" and half-way play the game. We don't really want to fully suit up, get dirty and take the hits to be fully committed. We would rather sorta play the game, pick and choose what we like, as long as we don't really put ourselves on the line...and it got me to thinking, am I pretending to play the game or am I really suited up and ready to tackle? My prayer is put me in Coach!

2 comments:

Anonymous

Colton, you look like a pro!! Can't wait to come watch you play!!
love you, Miss Kim

Anonymous

Colton, are you sure you are just 7 years old? Grammie and Grandad looked at your football pictures (and the one of you and Asher, after your 'mud roll'). You must have grown EVEN MORE since you left TX 8/1. Tackle football...unbelievable that you are playing it. You do look like a pro!
Have a good season.