CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 20, 2007

Mamaw




This past Saturday was Mamaw's (Mom Dingmore, my mother-in-law) birthday...we won't tell how old she is, but I'll say this, she is very active for her age! This past year, she drove by herself from Longview, Texas to Macon, Georgia in her new Cadillac. She had a great time and fussed because we worried about her! Don't tell her she can't or shouldn't do something. She is amazing. She is always there when anyone needs her. She came to be with us in October last year and stayed until after New Year's. It was great! She (and God) knew that we needed her, so she was there for us. People think I'm crazy when I say that I would let her come live with us, but I would. I would love to know (and for my children as well) half of what she knows about cooking, sewing, abiding in Christ, gardening, raising children to love the Lord...just living.

She is a rare jewel. I'm around alot of beautiful women in Macon, women that wear all the right clothes, have had this lifted, that shrunk and that enhanced, women that take great care of their skin and have beautiful nails. Recently when I was around a group of women that were talking about all that "stuff", I remembered many a conversation with Mamaw when she will look at her wrinkles and her less-than-perfect nails, and she will fuss that she probably should have taken better care of her skin and her nails, but she was always too busy to worry about all that stuff. She would rather be digging in the dirt, pampering her plants and bringing them to life, or sewing something for the grandkids (Mamaw's homemade pajamas are their favorites), or throwing together a poundcake or her famous pies for someone who needed it. I always giggle to myself when she's carrying on about her skin or the shape of her nails.
Oh my, I wish she could see how beautiful I think her hands are. Her hands are what she uses to express her love to others. She loves you with them and serves her God with them. She doesn't always say alot, but her actions speak volumes. She has cooked, sewn, rocked babies, painted, wallpapered, made candles, played games, taught children about Jesus, planted, weeded, cleaned, packed boxes, unpacked boxes, even organized my pantry!
When I look at her face, I see what she has accomplished in her life. She has three children who love the Lord and each are involved in ministry (one fulltime), six of her eight grandchildren are walking with the Lord (two aren't quite old enough), I would call that a successful career!

So, on her birthday, it is my joy to celebrate her. Happy Birthday, Mamaw!

2 comments:

Anonymous

Belated Happy Birthday Wishes to Mamaw! I'm fortune enough to call her friend! One other note about her hands would be the hugs she gives and about her face, the beautiful smiles that warm you on the inside. I feel so fortunate to have been able to spend time getting to know Maxine and I'll miss seeing her when she comes to town. So...Happy Birthday!!! Much love to you!

Jerry

I have a great mom who has been a supporter of all her children and an example of faith. You have learned a little about her in this blog. You have also seen in this blogged that I am married to someone who is amazing. She never ceases to amaze me.