CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 15, 2008

It's not about me

Yesterday, my son taught me a huge lesson. He is on the All Star Team for c-ball this year, but he is an alternate, so that means that he could play in every tournament except for the district tournament. Well, this weekend the district tournament began. We told him that he didn't have to go, but we would leave it up to him.

Our main concern was that one of the boys might ask him why he wasn't playing, and that was a lot for a 7-year old to explain, and we had already had a bad experience at one of the early practices where one of the boys had made a comment to him about being "just the alternate". Well, being the mama bear that I am, I didn't want to risk someone hurting my baby's feelings (he is very tender-hearted). So, I had really discouraged him from going.

Well, it came down to Friday night, when we got our uniforms, I asked him one last time if he wanted to go to the game or not. He said, "Mama, I need to be there to support my team. It doesn't matter if I don't get to play, and besides, Coach Bruce told me that he needed me to help him keep the books and help warm up the outfield."

All this month at PC All Stars, we've been studying humility: putting others first by giving up what you think you deserve. Colton got that. He taught me a big lesson. He suited up in his uniform, warmed up the outfield, was Coach Bruce's little shadow yesterday, and cheered for his team...with no concern for himself. He absolutely has the biggest heart and is mature beyond his age when it comes to giving of himself for others.

What if we all "got it"? And realized it's not about us...or about our recognition...or our success...or about this church or that church... but about THE CHURCH?

0 comments: